If you do an internet search for “Gazebo Cheese Soup” you’ll likely find a recipe that calls for a cheese-like-product (such as Velveeta) and a couple cans of cream of something-or-other condensed soup.
This recipe, while not grain or dairy-free, is a real food version of this soup that is just as delicious and packed with healthy fats and nutrition from bone broth, grass-fed milk, and vegetables.
This soup makes a great first course for a special dinner occasion or a hearty stand-alone meal (especially when served with these grain-free Cheddar Garlic Biscuits).
- 5 C chicken broth divided*
- 1 C milk preferably grass-fed and full fat
- 6 Tbs butter
- 6 Tbs einkorn flour
- 2 Tbs avocado oil or butter or ghee
- 3 or 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 C green onions or regular yellow onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots grated or 3/4 C pre-shredded carrots (I grate mine with a cheese grater)
- ¾ C golden potatoes cut into small cubes
- 8 oz cheddar cheese grated or cubed**
- 8 oz sour cream look for one that is organic and free of additives
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt at least and black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish *optional
- Hot sauce such as Tobasco, to serve *optional
- First, chop and grate your onion, celery, potato and carrots. Set aside but keep the carrots and potatoes separate from the onions and celery. They go into the pot at different times.
- Then, place a medium size sauce pot on the stove top over medium heat. Add 6 Tbs butter and allow it to melt.
- Once butter is melted and bubbly sprinkle in 6 Tbs einkorn flour (you can use spelt if you prefer). Whisk until a smooth paste forms. Don’t walk away and let the flour burn.
- Pour in 1 C of chicken broth and 1 C of milk. Whisk some more until there are no lumps.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and keep stirring until the mixture thickens. Usually I don’t even have to let it start boiling and it’s already pretty thick. This is your “cream of” soup replacement 😉 Once thick, take it off heat and set it aside.
- Now, place a large soup pot on the stove over medium-high heat and add 2 Tbs avocado oil, butter or ghee to the pot. Once the fat is hot (but not smoking) add your onions and celery. Stir them occasionally and allow them to sauté and soften for about 5 minutes.
- Now, add the 4 cups of chicken broth, potatoes and carrot to the pot. Allow the pot to simmer (gently boil) for about 20 to 25 minutes until the potato are soft. You will need to turn your heat down a bit for this part.
- While your soup is simmering grate or cube up your cheese.
After the veggies are done add your cheese, sour cream, “cream of” soup mix you set aside and salt and pepper to the pot at the same time and stir, off heat, until the cheese is melted and everything is smooth. Garnish with green onions, fresh parsley or drops of Tobasco sauce. Taste and add more salt if needed.