This has become my go-to cake for birthdays! Whether you are serving it decorated with buttercream icing, homemade whipped cream and berries or just as-is, this cake is always a party favorite. This recipe makes one 8″ layer.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut cream the 5.4oz can of Native Forest Organic Coconut Cream is perfect
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup – optional totally not necessary. just makes it sweeter! I skip this if I’m frosting the cake.
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut cream, vanilla extract and coconut sugar and maple syrup (if using).
- In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet with a handheld mixer.
- Grease an 8” cake pan and pour in batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Cool for 1 hour
Makes one 8” round cake. Repeat for layer cake.
On this particular cake we used a standard American Buttercream. It’s just butter, organic powdered sugar, a bit of milk (non dairy milk works perfectly, too) and extracts – vanilla + almond puts it over the top! It is very sweet but there are other buttercream frostings that are less so.
Here is a wonderful little link that tells you how to make each type of buttercream – All About Buttercream And How To Make 6 Different Types